Sunday, February 1, 2015

conservatory creepin'

The Lamberton Conservatory in Rochester, NY is such a great retreat from the 3 degree temperatures and 10 inches of snow. This past sunday about 9 sketchers from the sketching group got warmed up in the 80 degree 80% humidity greenhouse. I always tell myself "let's sketch something besides the turtles". And then when I get there--I sketch the turtles. 

My sketching buddy Genine and I decided to work on our black and white and only sketch with black, and a gray if needed. I opted for my J. Herbin per noire ink which is water-soluble. So when water hits it, these beautiful grays appear. I also tried out a new wooden dip pen that holds 2 nibs--one at each end. I loaded up a very small nib and a super-flexy nib that gave me some bold blacks and sometimes too bold blacks. 

This was also my first time taking a Stillmand & Birn Zeta sketchbook. I am a huge fan of S&B sketchbooks, but this thing makes me a super fan. I equate it to a tank! You can throw anything at it! No bleed through, no smearing--nothing! And the smoothness!! Ohhhhhhh. 

[dip pen with J. Herbin Pearl Noire ink, water brush filled with J. Herbin Perl Noire ink and water, all in a Stillman & Birn Zeta sketchbook] 




No comments:

Post a Comment