Saturday, June 13, 2015

Community Paint out!

I had a unique experience when the Finger Lakes Plein Air competition came right through my front door step! There were 44 juried in artists painting in and around Canandaigua. This past Saturday you could go anywhere downtown and find an artist painting! It was artist heaven. That same afternoon they had a "Community Paint Out" where us amateur artists could come out and within a 2 hour window, create a piece of artwork and have it judged! 

I had 4 different locations all scouted out and when it came time to paint--all 4 of my places were either taken, not there anymore (I guess the hot dog cart guy retired!), or in shadow! So I reverted to the rooftops behind my apartment building. I was a little rushed and my final piece was not anywhere near what I had imagined. But the experience was fun and I didn't get sunburnt--so that was a bonus. 

I plan on re-doing the scene on a piece of scrap wood that is about 3 feet long and 8 inches high. I think that format would capture the scene a little better! 

Stay Tuned.

[pentel pencil, namiki falcon with DeArtementis Document ink, D+S watercolors, and Inktense watercolor pencils on S+B Delta loose paper]



No comments:

Post a Comment